GONE TO GLORY
by Suzanne Finlay
Directed by Darryl Lindenbach and Charlotte Loeppky
April 9, 2022 (Calgary Petroleum Club)
April 22 – May 1 (West Village Theatre)
Audition Submission deadline: January 11, 2022
In-Person Auditions: January 16, 2022
First Rehearsal: Sunday, January 23, 2022
ABOUT THE SHOW
Elderly sisters Winnie and Lulu live in a shack by the river. Their unexpected involvement in a documentary film on poverty reveals a story of love, survival and strength of the human spirit.
LULU (playing age: early sixties). Lulu's life has offered few fulfillments beyond those which her own good humor can discover. Years of economic privation and social isolation have not destroyed her buoyant spirit.
WINNIE (playing age: 80+). Lulu's only remaining family. Before illness, frustration and poverty made her irritable, Winnie was a pretty girl with conventional aspirations to home and family.
GOOGIE (playing age: early forties/trying to pass for early thirties). An insecure woman with expensive tastes, newly vulnerable to the hazards of divorce. Until now her life has been relatively sheltered and fear and inexperience make her foolish.
BAKPAK (playing age: 20’s-40’s). A natural vagabond with a carefree heart. There is no malice in him and only enough guile to make him an able survivor.
TEDDI (playing age: late twenties). An ambitious, determined, talented young woman. The tough competition of the film world makes her ‘tough minded’. She does not suffer fools gladly.
PUG (playing age: variable). A good cameraman. Patient, even tempered; undemonstrative but observant.
Please read and consider the following information carefully before submitting your interest to audition.
1. All cast members must be fully committed to, and available for, the full rehearsal process and performances from January 23 to May 1, 2022. All personal time conflicts must be noted at time of submission. Confirmed cast members will be asked to enter into a written Agreement to ensure their understanding and commitment to the production.
2. Rehearsals will be scheduled on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons from January 23 to April 17. (please reserve April 8-14 for additional scheduling - Easter weekend will be off). Rehearsals will be held in-person. Actors will be scheduled but not called to every rehearsal. Note: the actors playing the roles of Winnie and Lulu should expect to be called for the majority of the rehearsals. Additional rehearsals may be called nearer the production period.
3. Rehearsals and performances will take place under current Covid-19 regulations in force at the time.
For the safety of the entire cast, crew and audience, we kindly request that all performers who audition are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and that everyone involved in the production ON-SITE (with others: technicians, front-of-house, etc.) be fully vaccinated.
4. Team members who are not vaccinated, and who are supporting the production in ways that DO NOT require them to be on-site: marketing, producing, costuming, construction and/or props, will be able to be considered for involvement in the show on an individual basis.
5. All participants should closely monitor their health during the rehearsal/performance process and must be willing to take a rapid test when requested.
6. Tech week is from April 18 – 21, 2022 and performances will run from April 22 – May 1. Please note, some weekday daytime performances are possible. In addition, a special performance will be presented at the Calgary Petroleum Club on April 9.
7. Please note, we are unable to engage any performers under Equity or ACTRA agreements.
Interested performers are asked to complete our online Audition Form and attach their theatre resume & photo.
Once you have all your material ready, please click the red button below to access the Form, Completed audition forms and materials are due by noon, Tuesday, January 11, 2022. Once we receive your audition materials, we will be in touch to schedule an in-person audition time with you.
In-Person Auditions will be held on January 16, 2022 at the ArtsLab Studio Theatre (6919 – 32 Avenue NW).
FOR THE IN-PERSON AUDITIONS, scene work will be provided.
If you have any questions, or trouble with the Audition Form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To access a PDF version of the Audition information, click on the grey button below.
DARRYL LINDENBACH (co-director) As a director, designer, performer and administrator, Darryl has enjoyed creating and leading cultural organizations across Western Canada for 35 years. He has the pleasure of directing and designing over 70 productions including ‘West Side Story’, ‘FAME-the musical’, ‘Big River’, ‘Driving Miss Daisy’, ‘Little Shop of Horrors’, ‘Steel Magnolias’, ‘Dreams of Broadway’, ‘City of Angels’, ‘Noises Off’, ‘john & jen’ and ‘The Hobbit’.
CHARLOTTE LOEPPKY (co-director) Charlotte is a self-described lifelong student of the Arts. With a background in Visual Art, Music Performance, Theatre and Film, she has been active in the Performing Arts for many years. She is currently the Theatre Program Director for youth at a local middle school, and performs around Calgary as a professional musician. On Calgary area stages she has played roles in numerous theatre productions including ‘Godspell’, ‘August Osage County’, ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’, ‘Brigadoon’, ‘Assassins’, ‘Always, Patsy Cline’, and ‘Crazy for You’. Film credits include ‘Hell On Wheels’, ‘Tin Star’, ‘Billy the Kid’, ‘Under the Banner of Heaven’, ‘John, 316’. Charlotte joined Imagine Performing Arts in 2020.